Created By: Historic Decatur Association
The stately white frame house surrounded by towering oaks that inspired its name is Shadowlawn. It was built around 1874 by Dr. William Gill. One of the oldest practicing physicians in the State of Alabama at the time, Dr. Gill died attending patients during Decatur’s last major Yellow Fever epidemic in 1888.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Old Decatur Historic District