Created By: Visit Madison, Inc.
The Shrewsbury-Windle House was built between the years 1846 and 1849 for Charles L. Shrewsbury, his wife Ellen Shrewsbury, and their children. Charles was originally from Virginia. The house is located at 301 West First Street. The architect of the home was Francis Costigan, he was known for his work in Madison, Indiana and Indianapolis, Indiana. The Shrewsbury-Windle house is known as a National Historic Landmark along with The Lanier Mansion, which is also located in Madison and built by the same architect.
The home features 12 rooms and 13 fireplaces. Interior design highlights include a fifty-three step spiral staircase that is a work of art and an engineering masterpiece in itself, and formal twin drawing rooms that may be the best preserved example of Greek revival domestic interior design in the United States. The interior of this home has recently undergone a 5 year restoration inside and out, available now for tours through Historic Madison, Inc. with 2 weeks advance notice for groups of 10+, and can be booked for events and programs. Call 812-265-2967 for more information.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Madison's Treasures Tours