Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
The pathway is roughly where the entrance to the Bridewell Prison was located. Costing £1,500, the prison was built half way up Bank Street in 1808 in the style of an old castle complete with two towers in front and battlements on top. It closed in 1869 when new buildings were opened in Nelson Street. It was one of several buildings that was demolished in 1887 to allow the Glasgow to Greenock railway to be extended to Gourock.
Condemned prisoners were marched from here, first to the Mid Kirk or 'Toon Kirk' and then to the gallows in Cathcart Square. Records show that thief Moses McDonald who stole food and £4 from a local grocer, was literally let off the noose and dropped to the ground when the rope snapped at his hanging. He was taken back to the Kirk until a new rope was fitted and successfully hanged at the second attempt.
Continue uphill a few steps to Pin 21: Renfrewshire Bank Building.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter