Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
Looking across the park wall in an easterly direction is the derelict site (image 1) of the former Mansion House (image 2). Although the House was demolished in 1886, the Laird and his family had moved its home to Ardgowan House outside Inverkip many years before. It is believed this site was slightly east of the earlier manorial home of Wester Greenock Castle.
A new Mansion House was built at Ardgowan Square (images 3 and 4) which was used to administer the Shaw-Stewart's Ardgowan Estate.
After demolition, the ground was undermined by a tunnel to expand the railway network into Gourock.
Continue further along the short path towards its end to Pin 24: Sir Johns's Brae.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter