Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
In 1801, the original Tontine Hotel, a handsome building, (images 1 and 2) was erected. It contained a large hall, 12 sitting rooms and 30 bedrooms. Large stables for the use of customers was in the adjoining street.
A tontine is a way of raising money through subscription and as each member of the tontine dies, their share is inherited by the remaining subscribers. For this building, 400 subscribers applied for membership in only two days. At £25 per share, this raised £10,000.
In 1892, the site was sold to the government and became the main Post Office Building which had previously been in Wallace Square. At present, it is the James Watt Public House (image 3).
The Tontine Hotel moved its premises to Ardgowan Square and is still operating as an hotel.
Continue by walking along Cathcart Street Pin 32: Site of the former Sugar Exchange and Assembly Rooms.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter