Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
Across Cathcart Street, on the site now occupied by CVS Inverclyde, was the site of Greenock's Sugar Exchange and Assembly Rooms. They were located on the first floor of the building. The Sugar Exchange had its own exit to the Greenock Central Station next door. The rail link and sugar exchange helped the town to compete worldwide in the sugar trade, with brokers travelling daily by rail to and from Glasgow.
Map: Bartholomew Survey Atlas of Scotland, 1912: Plan of Greenock
Continue by walking further along Cathcart Street to Pin 33: Greenock Central Station.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter