Created By: Cheltenham Local History Society
Behind the Town Hall lies the walled Skillicorne Garden containing a bust of Captain Henry Skillicorne by Percy Braisby. Having married the daughter of the original discoverer of the saline well in 1742, Captain Skillicorne developed the spa, deepening the well and erecting the first Pump Room over the mineral spring. (The site is under the Ladies’ College Princess Hall).
Skillicorne’s epitaph, one of the longest in the country, details his interesting life and can be seen in Cheltenham Minster. It could have been even longer, as in his will he wanted the memorial to include that he ‘died with the most beautiful set of Teeth, all sound, even and white as Ivory’.
The Skillicorne Garden is open to the public and today is used as a seating area for the Imperial Garden Bar.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Public Gardens of Cheltenham