Slocum Hall

Syracuse University Campus Tour

Slocum Hall

Syracuse, New York 13204, United States

Created By: PocketSights


Slocum Hall is the home of Syracuse University's School of Architecture, which is consistently ranked one of the best in the nation byDesignIntelligence Magazine. A recent redesign of Slocum saw the careful restoration of many of its finest architectural features—as well as upgrades to technology and energy efficiency. Visit its auditorium for public lectures by important contributors in architecture, design, urbanism and technology, or its Gallery for an extensive slate of collections, conferences and other public programs, including an exhibition series.

Formal Authorization of Building: December, 1915

Ground Broken: Spring 1916

Completed: 1919

Architect: Professors Frederick W. Revels and Earl Hallenbeck

Style: Renaissance Beaux Arts

Materials: Moosebeck granite and Indiana limestone, terra cotta and brick; basement and trim of pink granite; steel beams and some steel structural columns

Dimensions: 185 feet by 130 feet

Cost: $400,000

Funding: $300,000 from Mrs. Russell Sage

Named for: Joseph Slocum, former State senator from Onondaga County and father of Mrs. Russell Sage

Renovation: 2006 - Summer 2008

Architects for Renovation: Garrison Architects, James Garrison, Graduate class of 1979

Rededication: September 18, 2008


Construction began in April 1916 but due to World War I and labor shortages it was not completed until October 1918. When officially opened in 1919, the Architecture Department of the College of Fine Arts shared the building with the Joseph Slocum School of Agriculture, as well as the School of Home Economics and the School of Business. Over the years, the building underwent a series of changes, most notably losing its monumental entry stair, its original auditorium, and the closing of its central atrium. In 1953 the lettering "The Joseph Slocum College of Agriculture" was removed from the facade facing College Place. In 1968, the stairs at the College Place entrance were removed during the construction of Link Hall; they were replaced with new doors and walkway.

Renovations begun in 1976 by Werner Seligmann, then Dean of the school, reopened many spaces and included a reading room, exhibition gallery, and offices for the School of Architecture. A multi-year renovation begun in 2006 enhanced and restored the building's original qualities while updating it technologically, functionally, and aesthetically. The central atrium was reopened and sections of the bearing walls were removed to allow pathways for natural light and ventilation, increasing the building's energy efficiency. Only about 25% of the building was air conditioned as the reopening of the original spaces allowed for natural air flow to cool the building as it was originally designed. A new auditorium and gallery were installed with expanded space for studio, research, and offices.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Syracuse University Campus Tour


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to