Created By: Sarah Mims
Isaac Smith operated a flour mill, saw mill, and cider press near the Brandywine just south of the Pennsylvania and Delaware border. Isaac's son Edward Smith took over the mill after the death of his father. In 1839 a single lane covered bridge was built across the Brandywine near the mill. Smith's Bridge as it was called was 143 feet in length comprised of 3 spans. The wooden roadway was 15 feet in width. In 1956 the aging structure was reinforced with steel beams and additional piers were added. The covered bridge carried vehicle traffic until October of 1961 when it was burned by arsonists. By 1962 an open deck wooden bridge was built at the location. That bridge stood until a reproduction wooden covered bridge in the character of the original was built in 2002. The new bridge contains Burr trusses like the original design but has a steel reinforced road deck to handle the loads of modern traffic. Exit the parking area and turn left and proceed north to the stop sign. Turn left onto Smith Bridge Road and cross the covered bridge and proceed west.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Bridges of Chester County's Lower Brandywine Creek watershed