Created By: North Dakota State University
South Engineering, a three-story building that was constructed in 1907, held more than the name would suggest. It stands 80 feet by 90 feet and cost around $65,000 to construct. When it was completed, it housed lectures, classrooms, laboratories for a wide variety of subjects such as Mechanical Engineering and Freehand Drawing. They did however built a special area for Lyceum of Engineers as that was the buildings main purpose. The ceremony for official opening occurred on January 25, 1908. The Board of Trustees designated the building as a place devoted specifically to the various fields of engineering such as mechanical, civil, steam, and physics. South Engineering houses five classrooms and two lecture rooms that can hold around a hundred students.
The floors of engineering were mostly designated to specific classes and labs. Starting with the first floor, visitors would see three laboratories that were used for many engineering classes in order to test various engineering instruments and material. They were also used for cement investigation and electrical standardization. The first floor is also the location of a reading room, the Engineer’s club, and also an engineering museum. Half of the second floor is consumed by physics lecture room and various laboratories. The third floor is where you would find some classes besides engineering. On this floor various drawing classes would take place such as freehand, mechanical drawing and blue print work. The reason behind this is that the buildings location and windows provided that best lighting needed to conduct such classes. For 100 years, 1893-1993, this building was connected to the Mechanic Arts Building which would later be called Engineering Laboratories Building. Today it is home to our Physics Department.
This point of interest is part of the tour: North Dakota State University Walking Tour