St Francis Church

Simon's Town Historical Society

St Francis Church

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


The first St Francis Church was completed on the site of the old DEIC granaries between the Residency and Admiralty House in 1837 and consecrated by the Bishop of Tasmania in 1843. It was named St Frances as a mark of respect to the Governor, Sir Lowry Cole's wife Frances. The original building was a "simple rectangular Greek temple with a low pitched zinc roof, ceiling and square windows" There was a temple portico with Doric Columns on the west façade. In 1867 the church was enlarged by enclosing the colonnaded porch and adding a vestry. In 1881 it was virtually rebuilt, the Sanctuary was moved to the west end and a new chancel, organ chamber, choir vestry and bell tower were added. In 1912 the pitched roof was raised and tiled with slate. The ceiling was removed and the original wooden beams exposed. Gothic windows were installed in 1924 and in 2019 three windows commemorating the members of the congregation who were victims of the Group Areas Act of 1967 were installed.
The Church was re-named St Francis of Assisi in 1958


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to