St George's Building

Simon's Town Historical Society

St George's Building

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


In 1799 John Henry Roselt bought a piece of the estate called Constantia which was first noted in 1749. In 1803, land measuring 88sq roods &72sq ft in the southern portion of St George’s Street, was subdivided off Roselt’s land and was transferred to Johan Albert Dell. In 1807 Roselt died and a portion of his land was bought by a C.M. Lindt. The remainder was purchased by William Westhof and in 1814 was sold to Christian M Lind, then the local magistrate. In 1846 Lind’s properties were again subdivided and bought by J. Millar, J. Hare, & P.F. Hugo. By 1860 most of St George’s Street land was owned by Hugo. He died in 1865, and his executors ceded and transferred the St George’s properties on 18 May 1866 to Jan G. Hugo & Frederick H.S. Hugo and in 1903 they were ceded to C. R. Hugo & P.F.H.Hugo. They commissioned John Parker, a prominent architect, to join the three front buildings which included two houses, a store, a coach house, a shop and a bakery into a lodging house known as “Hugo’s Chambers” linking them with a common balcony. In 1920 Hugo's Chambers was transferred to C.W. Harry who transformed it into the the St George's Hotel. The property was sold to Ohlssons Cape Breweries in 1942 but by the early 70s was no longer viable as an hotel and was sold into private hands.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to