Created By: Downtown Ithaca Alliance
402 N. Aurora St. - The first church on this site was built in 1819, and was replaced by another structure in 1866. Forty years later, the congregation selected plans by Cincinatti architects Brown & Davis for a Romanesque Revival structure. Dedicated in 1909, the new church featured rough stone walls, an imposing corner entrance, a domed auditorium, and intricate stained-glass windows. It originally boasted a central tower, which was removed in two stages during the 1920s. The name of St. Paul's dates from 1961, when the congregation of this First Methodist Church and the State Street Methodist Church merged.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Architectural Walking Tour of Downtown Ithaca