Created By: DCR Massachusettes
With the 1906-07 expansion of Fort Andrews from a two to six company post the original guardhouse proved insufficient. Built in 1910, the New Guardhouse was outfitted with a cellblock rated for the miscreants of a ten company regiment. As the post operation center, daily military routines were initiated and monitored from here.
Restored in 2011, this building is now a Welcome Center and event space. Check-in here for camping or for information on guided activities and ferr services. Look for the iron-bared door and other signs of its historic purpose.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Peddocks Island: Historic Fort Andrews