Simon's Town Historical Society


Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


The house was built as a rectory in 1899 under the direction of the Dutch Reformed Church. The builder, Mr W Napier, built the double storey house of sandstone in Georgian - Victorian Style, but no longer looks exactly as it did in 1899. The congregations of Simon's Town and Kalk Bay amalgamated in 1940 and became known as the Fish Hoek congregation. Simon's Town's minister became the first minister of the united congregation and in 1940 settled in Fish Hoek. Since then the house has never again been used as a rectory. From 1940 the Church leased the house as a boarding house until it was sold to Mr S.J. De Beer in 1957. Mr De Beer and his family lived there but let certain rooms. 1n 1961 Rev, Louw bought the house and lived there until the State bought it from him in 1978.
The music for "Die Stem" was composed here in 1919 by the Rev M.L. De Villiers and still forms part of the National Anthem.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to