Temple

The Biggest Little Movie City

Temple

Ithaca, New York 14850, United States

Created By: Ithaca Heritage

Information

The Temple opened in December 1928, one week after the opening of the State Theatre. Sandwiched between the old Ithaca High School (now the Dewitt Mall) and the Star Theatre, the deep, narrow red brick building had 840 seats to entertain moviegoers. Owner Harry Clark sold the theater to Cornell Cinemas in 1930 and became part of that company while staying on as the theater’s manager. The new owner redecorated the theater in a “Spanish modernistic style.” The Tompkins Trust Company demolished the Temple after its purchase in 1976 to accommodate drive-up teller service.

OPENED: 1928 DEMOLISHED: 1976

This point of interest is part of the tour: The Biggest Little Movie City


 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.