Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
The Greenock Blitz transformed the face of the town. It destroyed many historic buildings which in turn made way for new developments (images 1 to 4).
The first wave began on the evening of 6th May, 1941. 50 enemy planes followed the River Clyde from the east and carried out a two hour bomb attack on the area. The following night, there was a relentless three-wave attack by an estimated 250-300 planes.
Cathcart Street and James Watt Dock were ablaze; 1,000 homes in the town were destroyed and 10,000 were damaged. 1,200 people were injured and 280 died.
Across the road, the terraces along the eastern side of Cathcart Street, from Bank Street to Terrace Road, became the site of temporary air raid shelters to provide a safe refuge for local people during WW2. These shelters were themselves bombed during the Blitz.
Continue by walking along Cathcart Street Pin 31: Site of the former Post Office and original Tontine Hotel.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter