Created By: West Berkshire Archaeology Service
The First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880-81 shows two buildings here built against the wall along Love Lane. The wall along the lane dates from the mid- to late 17th century and, like the garden terrace, might have been important for the defence of Shaw House during the Second Battle of Newbury in 1644. By the time of the Fifth Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1970 the eastern, right-hand building had been demolished and only the western, left-hand building was still there. This building is probably from the late 19th century and is described as a garden building or ‘bothy’.
You are now back at the northern end of the car park and have reached the end of the trail! Wildflowers have been allowed to grow in the car park since it was upgraded in 2016.
For more events, exhibitions and activities at Shaw House, please visit: https://booking.westberks.gov.uk/heritage_events.html#?location=Shaw%20House.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Shaw House and St Mary's Church Conservation Area