Created By: Visit Carlton
The Carlton State & Savings Bank, was built in 1910 by W.A. Howe. Prior to this, Howe had offered private banking in his General. Howe served as president of the Carlton State and Savings Bank until the 1920s, but the bank carried on thereafter, the only interruption to its continuity occurring briefly in the Great Depression.
In order for the bank to obtain a charter under the Federal banking system, which was reorganized as a consequence of the Banking Act of 1933, it affiliated with the First National Bank of Portland. The Carlton branch of the First National was later called the First National of Carlton and, still later, the Yamhill National Bank.
On October 16, 1947 the bank was robbed of $11,345 by three masked men. Three suspects were later captured and nearly the entire amount stolen recovered by FBI agents and state police officers.
With the opening of the new bank branch across the street in 1952, the building was converted for other commercial uses. In 1988, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Jay McDonald opened The Tasting Room here in 1995.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour