Created By: Wichita History Walk
(Look across the street for this building.)
The Cement Stone and Supply Company of Wichita went into business making imitation limestone in the early 1900s. Between 1927 and 1940, they provided a decorative trimming stone, which they dubbed "Carthalite," as a play on the Carthage limestone out of Missouri. It was made by mixing powdered mineral-oxide pigments in with the concrete. Using a mold, they would build colorfully intricate geometrical designs into the façade of several buildings around Wichita. In fact, Wichita is one of the only places you can find Carthalite in the country. One of the best examples of Carthalite can be found at the building on the Northeast corner of Douglas and Hillside. Harry Dockum, pioneer of the local drug-store chain, built Dockum Drug Store Building Number 5 in 1927. The contractor was Robert J. McKee. Other examples of Carthalite in Wichita include North High and the Minisa Bridge, also pictured (buffalo detail).
Source: American Bungalow Magazine
This point of interest is part of the tour: East Douglas Heritage