Created By: The Chatfield Alliance
The Cottage, the second home on what was once the Jason C. Easton estate, was built in 1893 by Lucien Johnson, Easton's brother-in-law and brother to Mrs. George H Haven, owner of The Oaks, the adjoining property to the north. Immediately behind "The Cottage" is the former territorial road which heads east to Winona and forms the house's rear property line. Only two years after building his house Lucian Johnson died, transferring ownership to his sister. The homes design elements lean Greek Revival (symmetrical shape, columns, porch entry, window in the pedimen) with the most notable feature being an unusual window in the front gable.
In 1861, Company A of the 2nd Minnesota Volunteers (led by local newpaper editor Judson Wade Bishop) marched out the road behind this home "in defense of the Union."
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Homes of Winona Street