Created By: Urbana Planning Division
The Courier Building was designed in 1903 by Joseph Royer, and was originally home to The Urbana Courier Company newspaper. It is two stories of red brick with limestone trim, with a shed roof and parapet. The left/south bay of a four-bay façade is chamfered with a raised main entrance to the first story. This entrance’s historic double doors have the “Courier” name block in limestone above entrance. Two first-story large, fixed sash windows have limestone lintels and are topped by stained glass. The north end bay is a recessed staircase to the second story. The building was partially destroyed in a fire in 1950, and rebuilt. The Courier Café has called this home since 1980. This property’s historical impact is identified as “contributing” to the Downtown Urbana Historic District.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Urbana's Downtown Historic District Tour