Created By: Nappanee Public Library
Nappanee's very first fire bell was located on top of the Corner Hardware that was located on Main and Market Streets on the northwest corner. When the Auditorium was built in 1900, the old fire bell was replaced with a new and larger one. At the same time, four smaller ones were placed in each ward.
A loud whistle on the pump house at the waterworks eventually replaced the bell. The change from the bell to the whistle wasn't a good one. It aroused no one. Someone was thoughtful enough to tap the fire bell a few times. Companies would respond in fashion. Fire reporting by telephone started in 1908. To clear the streets in 1926, the first electric siren was installed above the telephone exchange. The whistle on the Mutschler plant was also used to alert their workers of a fire.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Demolition, Destruction and Revitalization