Created By: Nappanee Public Library
Located at 302 East Market Street is one of the best examples of Queen Anne architectural style. It was built in 1887 and completed in 1893 for Frank and Katherine Coppes. Henry Frazier was the architect who designed the protruding bays, variously sized and shaped windows, a round tower, sunburst motifs, and fish-scale shingles.
The Coppes family insisted on expert craftsmanship, down to every exquisite detail: extensive wood paneling, stained glass windows, brass hardware. The inside had an etched glass entryway that led through beveled-glass pocket doors into an expansive living room with polished hardwood floors and tall ceilings. A wide-draped doorway opens to the dining room with polished hardwood floors and tall ceilings. The stain glass windows made by Nappanee's renowned Lamb Brothers and Greene, whose work rivals that of Louis B. Tiffany.
The home was placed on the National Registry of Historic places in 1990.
Frank was one of the most respected citizens in Nappanee. He served as President of the Coppes Brothers, and Inc until his death.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Homes of the Kitchen Industry