Created By: Cheltenham Local History Society
The Garden Gallery is housed in a distinctive Elizabethan-style Proscenium.
The original Proscenium was constructed in 1900 by a Mr Yeates for £322. The Proscenium, which had dressing rooms in the towers at either side of the stage, provided the backdrop for entertainments such as the summer concerts, which were becoming increasingly popular. An awning once extended from the Proscenium towards the bandstand, providing shelter for an audience facing in either direction.
This temporary structure was replaced by a permanent building in about 1911, known as the Montpellier Pavilion and later simply as the Pavilion. The Pavilion was used as a clubhouse for the very successful Cheltenham Table Tennis Club and Cheltenham Gymnastics Club.
In the 1970s the Pavilion Club hosted discos and live bands. The Pavilion is thought to have been demolished in the late 1970s and the Proscenium was restored in 2007. It now houses the Garden's Gallery, a community gallery for local artists (entrance is free).
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Public Gardens of Cheltenham
Please send change requests to email@example.com.