Created By: ODHS
The Lace Factory is the last example of a commercial attempt locally to keep the lace industry viable, in spite of the changing economic climate and the vagaries of fashion. It was built by a slightly eccentric character, one Harry Armstrong who hailed from Stoke Goldington, who employed George Knight to build him in 1928 ‘something the like of which Olney has not seen before’.
Here lace which which had been collected from the town and surrounding villages was packed and dispatched all around the world. Lace itself was never made in this building. Unfortunately, the venture came to an end with the death of its instigator.
The building was later used for several ventures, the most successful of which was the manufacture of lampshades, before being converted into flats.
Walk about another 200 metres down the street to Wilson's Hardware Store.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Olney High Street - Heritage Trail (Version 1)