Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
The fountain is away for repair at the present time.
Situated in the middle of Cathcart Square, the Lyle Fountain was gifted to the town in 1880 by Abram Lyle, a successful businessman who founded the sugar refinery Abram Lyle & Sons. It later merged with a rival in 1921 to become Tate & Lyle. Lyle was Provost of Greenock from 1876-1879.
The circular fountain was designed by F A Scudamore of Coventry. It has a filigree dome supported by six columns. 18 bronze shields bearing the crests of prominent families of the time can be seen at the base of the dome.
Continue by walking round the fountain to the left to Pin 16: The Gallows. Be aware of traffic.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter