Created By: The Chatfield Alliance
The third and last home on the original Jason C. Easton estate is a virtually unaltered and locally distinctive example of residential Italianate style. It was designed and built for George H. Haven by the Winona architectural firm of Mayberry and Company. George H. was the son of Augustus Haven, one of Chatfield's first settlers and a highly successful merchant. In 1874, George H. married the sister-in-law of Jason Easton and purchased part of Easton's estate then built the house. In 1888, Easton also sold Haven the Root River Bank and moved to LaCrosse, WI. The Greek Revival "Annex" was added in 1892 by George for his mother. This small, connected dwelling reportedly was designed to harmonize with the main house.
The home is constructed of bricks made in Chatfield. When it was built it was also fitted with the first furnace in town.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Homes of Winona Street