Created By: Indian Rocks Beach Action 2000, Inc.
The first automobile bridge from the mainland to the Sand Key barrier island was built at this site in the Narrows in 1916. The community of Indian Rocks developed around the bridge, first on the mainland side, then shifting to the beach in the 1940s.
The swing style bridge defined a slower-paced time when people enjoyed watching the hand operated bridge open, and chatting with friends at the general store.
After 42 years in service, the bridge had deteriorated and needed to be torn down. But the community spirit that began in those early days still exists in Indian Rocks Beach today.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Indian Rocks Beach Historical Marker Tour