Created By: Cheltenham Local History Society
The concrete and glass Quadrangle is situated in the northwest corner of Imperial Square. Built as an office block the new national headquarters for Gulf Oil (Great Britain) Limited who moved here from Chiswick in 1973. After 20 years Gulf Oil moved out to premises near the Racecourse and the Quadrangle was divided up for use by a succession of smaller business. It was completely refurbished in 2020/21 and now houses four storeys of open plan workspace with retail and dining spaces on the ground floor plus a roof-top bar.
The Quadrangle replaced the exclusive gentlemen’s New Club, which dated from 1874. The club moved to No.2 Montpellier Parade in 1970, taking many of the original furnishings and fittings with them. Fortunately the original decorative cast-iron canopy from the club doorway can still be seen at Belgrave House - now Pizza Express - opposite.
At the traffic lights, turn left and head up the Promenade towards the Queens Hotel. Enter Imperial Gardens at the path on the left that takes you to the Holst Statue.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Public Gardens of Cheltenham