Created By: Urbana Planning Division
106 North Race Street, or Rose Bowl Tavern, was designed by the Urbana architect Joseph Royer in the Beaux-Arts style, and was likely being his first concrete block structure. The original tenant was the United States Post Office until it moved to its new-er facility at 202 South Broadway in 1914. Colonel Nathaniel Cohen owned the property and, when the Post Office left, converted the building to a vaudeville theatre. The Rose Bowl Tavern has been providing music and entertainment here since 1947.
This property’s historical impact is identified as “contributing” to the Urbana Downtown Historic District.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Urbana's Downtown Historic District Tour