Created By: Two Villages Archive Trust
It is thought that the Swan Inn has served the village of Milton Keynes since 1550, and the present building dates largely from the 16th and 17th centuries. Its position at the convergence of the roads leading to Willen, Broughton and Walton make it the natural centre of the village. In this view looking towards Broughton, the shrub beyond the Inn conceals the bus shelter which was converted from the disused forge some years ago. This can be seen to better advantage from position 4. The Inn lost its thatch in 1970 in a disastrous fire, but was fully restored, and is a popular meeting place for visitors and locals alike.
Sadly, fire visited the Swan again on the afternoon of Wednesday 7 December 2011. The damage was very similar to that suffered in1970, but happily not all the building was affected, and the Swan was able to re-open for business on 23 December using the restaurant and part of the original bar. It re-opened fully on 23 November 2012 with a big celebration for all its regulars. Its reconstruction was complete and the Swan was able, once again, to offer its traditional hospitality.
The same view pictured in about 1960 seems worlds away from the bustle of modern Milton Keynes, yet little has changed except the replacement of the horse and cart by the motor car. The road, which went right past the front door of the Swan is now cut off at Willen Road to form a car park, and the electricity poles have gone, but the telephone box (traditional style!) remains.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Milton Keynes Village Tour