Created By: VistaWorks
The Tabor Home was built by H. A. W. Tabor about 1877 at 512 Harrison Avenue and moved to its present location at 116 E. 5th in 1879. Property on Harrison Avenue had become too valuable for residence lots and needed to be occupied by blocks of business. Horace and Augusta maintained their Leadville home until 1881 when Tabor moved to the Windsor Hotel to be close to his latest mistress, "Baby Doe". The Tabor triangle grew into a national scandal and finally ended in divorce and Tabor's marriage to "Baby Doe". The public was in support of Augusta and Tabor never regained his former prestige. Augusta, Leadville's "First Lady", was a remarkable person. She had great courage, super human endurance and unusual business acumen. A dozen years after the sensational divorce which broke her heart, she died a millionaire. In that very same year, Horace A. W. Tabor was bankrupt.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Leadville Walking Tour