Town Hall

Simon's Town Historical Society

Town Hall

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


The building was constructed in 1940 as the "Soldiers and Sailors Rest Room" using public subscription funds collected by SAWAS (South African Women's Auxiliary Services), for use as a rest room and recreation hall for the hundreds of soldiers and sailors quartered in the town during World War 2. The facility was formally opened on Saturday 10 February 1940 by Major P.V.G. van der Byl, Minister without Portfolio. 500 men, mostly sailors and Merchant seamen, were served each day at the canteen by volunteers; the arrival of a large convoy could increase the numbers to 3500. After the conclusion of hostilities, the building was adopted by the Simon's Town Municipal Council as the Town Hall.
The room at the southern end of the building was used by the MOTHS (Members of the Order of Tin Hats) as the "Snoekie Shellhole" from 1952 to 1983 when they relocated to the Residency in Court Road. It was named 'The Warriors Room'. The Warriors Room is currently in use as the 'Simon's Town Warrior Toy Museum and Collectors Shop', a private enterprise.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to