Created By: Uki and South Arm Historical Society
In1895, Rowlands Creek School opened in D. C. Marshall's barn on Rowlands Creek, with eight children enrolled. Children in the area were needed by their parents to milk cows and help on the farm, so the school was a 'half-time' school, meaning that they only attended for half the normal school day.
Byangum school was also on "half-time", so the teacher from Uki would alternate weeks between both schools.
Rowlands Creek School moved to a new one-room building on the present school site in 1901. The school was renamed Uki Public School in 1906, and the small one-room building was converted to a weather shed when a larger school was built in 1908 at the cost of £198/15/3.
In 1911 a petition was signed by 55 residents to have the school moved to allow natural progress of village growth and made way for more businesses to move into the centre of the village.
In March 1912, Dora Fisher was teaching children in the weather shed. The school had two classrooms, a verandah, and a school residence. The principal Mr O'Kelly paid £48 rent per annum for the lodging in 1912.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Uki Village - Walking Tour
Please send change requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.