Created By: West Berkshire Museum
Queen Victoria’s statue is at the top of the Park in a roughly north easterly direction.
Originally, this area was called The Marsh but it was renamed Victoria Park because of the popularity of the Queen. Victoria’s statue was originally located in the Market Place in 1903 but ended up here in 1966. During the Second World War, anti-tank defences or “dragon’s teeth” were positioned along the current route of the A339. The Park contains a small, brick built air raid shelter for an adjacent nursery.
Return to the canal, do not cross but instead turn right and take the towpath towards the town. Turn right at Northbrook Street and then turn left along Northcroft Lane (signed Northcroft Leisure Centre) for approximately half a mile. Turn left on the public footpath after the Cricket Club and before Northcroft Leisure Centre, then cross the River Kennet. A Type 22 pillbox can be seen to the right of the Monkey Bridge before crossing the canal.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Newbury Second World War Heritage Walking Trail
Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.