Created By: Pipestone County Historical Society
This two-story Sioux quartzite building was built in 1896 for F.A.Walker. The metal cornice and polished name/date stone are two distinctive features of the building. The second-story oriel window is a replica of the original one, restored in the 1980s.
The first tenant on the street level was a grocery store. The building also housed several saloons for over 70 years. A cigar factory and other business offices occupied the second floor over the years and twice the second floor was opened up to expand the Calumet Inn's capacity. In 1972 the building was annexed to the west and today still operates with the business in the Cook Drug building.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Pipestone Commercial Historic District