Created By: Southport Historical Society
The inn was first built in the early 1800s as the summer mansion for Governor Benjamin Smith, for whom the town of Smithville (now Southport) was named. After his death, another governor – Edward B. Dudley – lived there in the summer as well until 1848. At that time it was sold and converted into a hotel. In the mid-1800s, it was occupied by Dr. Walter Curtis, who oversaw the quarantine station and maintained his offices there in the daylight basement for 30 years. In the late 1800s it was renovated and reopened as the Hotel Brunswick, with nightly music and dancing in the ballroom.
In 1901, the hotel earned one of two permits for a tavern on site.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Southport, North Carolina