Created By: Diane Lebo Wallace
The village of Watkins Glen, first settled in 1791, is known for its spectacular state park and its long history of auto racing.
The settlement of the village began in 1791. First named "Jefferson" in 1842, the village was later renamed in 1852 to honor Dr. Samuel Watkins. Watkins' older brother John purchased property around the gorge in 1794 and constructed mills. After his brother's death, Samuel Watkins inherited the property and spent four decades developing the area. Today Watkins Glen is home to a number of 19th-century buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
FLT Map M14
This point of interest is part of the tour: History along the Finger Lakes Trail - Eastern Region