Created By: Nappanee Public Library
We have a fire department, now what?
By 1892, the town started sinking three deep wells and building a waterworks. In June of 1892, two hose carts were purchased for $80 each and each one was inscribed with Nappanee Fire Department. On July 8, 1892, the two companies of twenty men each elected J.D. Coppes as the very first fire chief. The firemen were not paid but received only a rebate on town taxes and poll tax. It was decided January 15, 1900, that the firemen would be paid handsomely. $3 a year per man unless a 50 cent fine was imposed in each instance a member failed to answer a fire alarm. At the same time, each company was cut to 12 men.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Demolition, Destruction and Revitalization