West Dockyard Gates

Simon's Town Historical Society

West Dockyard Gates

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


The first (left hand side) gates were manufactured for the British Navy in the West Dockyard smithery by Charles Henry Algar in 1863. The gates were originally positioned just across the road from the Westhof building and almost faced directly down St George's Street. They were moved to their present position during the widening of the main road in the 1970s. The leaves were originally separated by a stone pillar. This was removed in WW2 and the two side pedestrian gates moved to a central position . The second matching pair of gates (right hand pair) were manufactured for the SA Navy in 1966 in the East Dockyard Foundry by Mr Claude Randall. Unfortunately these gates have been removed by the South African Navy and can no longer be seen from St George's Street.
To the right of the gates is the Wall of Memory along which plaques depicting life in Simon's Town prior to the forced removals can be seen.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.