West West Street Houses

Historic Southport, North Carolina

West West Street Houses

Southport, North Carolina 28461, United States

Created By: Southport Historical Society


These houses were built in the mid 1800s to early 1900s by moderate income owners. The house at 114 West West Street was built in 1839 and was owned by Jacob Brinkman, who was the first lighthouse keeper of the first Oak Island range lights; circa 1848. The house at the 406 address was built in 1911 for Captain Charlie Swan who was the keeper of Bald Head Light House from its lighting in 1903 until 1933. Much of the wood used in the framing was allegedly salvaged from a ship wreck off Bald Head Island. The house at address 414 was built in 1913 by Captain James Henry "Sonny" Dosher who was the last keeper (over 30 years) at the lighthouse on Bald Head Island ("Old Baldy").

This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Southport, North Carolina


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.