Created By: Rideau District Museum
Westport Public & Continuation School ~ Corner of Concession & Rideau Streets
The school was built in 1899 in a two-storey structure style that was popular throughout Canada. In 1908, the Westport School Board received a grant to develop a continuation school (high school) upstairs. This was one of the few such schools approved by the Province at the time. In 1960 when the Rideau District High School was built in Elgin, the high school part of the curriculum ceased. In 1968, the public school was closed when Rideau Vista public school opened.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Walking Tour of Westport, Ontario