Created By: DCR Massachusettes
Construction of Fort Warren began in 1833. Among the first structures that would need to be built was the wharf area. This wharf would serve to receive the massive pieces of granite that would be used to construct the fort as well as the seawall. It would also receive passengers from small boats. These passengers included workers, engineers, craftsmen and even visitors and tourists. The original wharf area would have included a tool house, scales, and line house. The red brick building dates from 1909. It was constructed to store equipment and material for maintaining various minefields in and around Boston Harbor. It was used through World War 1 and World War 2. The rails that you can see set in to the floor near both doors are the remnants of a rail system that would have linked parts of the island for easier transportation and movement of supplies, equipment, and material for various jobs and operations. It was modified in 2009 to house the current island visitor center, bathrooms, and gift shop.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Self Guided Tour, Fort Warren, George's Island