Created By: PocketSights
The building that now serves as the Arboretum’s Visitor Center first served as the gardener’s cottage, carriage house and stables. Built by Theophilus P. Chandler, Jr. in 1888, it was constructed from the same coursed and rusticated granite, irregular plan and roof style as Compton. In the 1980's this structure was renovated and adaptively re-used as the George D. Widener Education Center. The Shop at Morris Arboretum was added to the front of the structure and a seasonal café (Compton Café) to the rear for visitors’ enjoyment.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Morris Arboretum Founding Treasures