Willet's Building

Simon's Town Historical Society

Willet's Building

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


In 1798 the land was transferred from J M Endres to Gideon Rossouw. Sub-divided in 1811 with a portion going to Gerrit Munnik. A building was erected and in 1813 transferred to Jacob Bruce. In 1816 transferred to Louis Hove who went bankrupt. In 1822 bought by Harry Batt and operated as the "The Crown And Anchor Inn . There were three bedrooms, a kitchen and billiard room on the ground floor, five bedrooms on the first floor, run and owned by a number of people including John Clarence, Abraham Levien, William Coghill, Thomas White, Sarah Leonard and John Barry. Bought by George Willet in 1878 and renamed "Willet's Masonic Building" until his death in 1897 when it was sold to Ohlsson's Cape Brewery., renovated as the "Masonic Hotel" until 1931. Altered into a butchery - the billiard room becoming a sausage making room. Sold in 1920s to Clarence Garfield Eaton and converted in to a Drapery Store - Building named "Eaton's Building". Sold in 1962 to Hendrik Louw who returned it to being a Butchery. Sold in 1973 to Nigel Farquharson and converted back into a Drapery shop called "Matelot". Recently refurbished with upstairs accommodation and downstairs restaurant.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.