Created By: Inverclyde Tourist Group
William Street (image 1) was named after William Alexander, the first feuar of this land and was one of the first streets in Greenock to be named. It leads down from Cathcart Square and originally went down to the shore which later became a harbour.
It is one of Greenock's oldest thoroughfares and is the birthplace of one of Greenock's most famous sons, the engineer and inventor James Watt (1736-1819) (image 2).
Continue by turning left down William Street and walking forward a few steps to Pin 8: The Dutch Gable House. Click CONTINUE TOUR.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Greenock's Historic Quarter