Created By: Old Cowtown Museum
The Wolf House located in the Industrial Area of Old Cowtown Museum, represents a dwelling on the outskirts of town and a type of home where a new immigrant would live as they began their lives on the frontier. Many immigrants found this area to be a promising for establishing a homestead and came with little to start their new life.
The house portrays a German family which was the largest foreign nationality to settle in Wichita. They formed a diverse social and economic network as well as a dedication to the town.
Looking in the front door into the kitchen one can see on the left side of facing wall a framed copy of the Lords Prayer,
Looking in the front door into the kitchen, immediately to the left one can see german newspaper and printing that was used as wall paper to cover deformities in the wall.
Looking straight into the bedroom one can see a sewing machine and shoe lasts that were used to support the shoe while nailing or sewing a new sole on a shoe.
Looking into the bedroom to the right one can see a work bench and the tools of the trade.
Looking into the bedroom to the left one can see a modest bed and washstand. The family started with only the very basics and prospered with hard work and diversity
Notice the German writing on the trunk the shoe lasts are setting on.
Outside you may also notice the collection of chickens appropriate to the time.
A cobbler by day and a farmer by night.
The house was built in 1883 by German immigrant, Henry Wolf who arrived in the Galesburg Township in Kingman County just after the Civil War ended in 1865. Wolf was a farmer who eventually had one of the finest farms in the area. He also worked as a cobbler during the winter to supplement his farming livelihood. It was moved to Old Cowtown Museum from Kingman County in 1978.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Old Cowtown Museum Tour