Cross House Nos. 107–8 Church Street (Cross House), restored c. 1860 by the builder Thomas Collins, the then owner and occupier, comprises at least two dwellings gabled towards the street and probably a third gabled towards Tolsey Lan... Read more
Now part pedestrianised, and a bit of a backwater, Tolsey Lane was originally the main road to Gloucester, before the High Street was laid out, probably in the thirteenth century. The” tolsey” was the market toll house, and the precurso... Read more
The original Wilkes’ Alley was one of Tewkesbury’s most populous. It was unusual in having houses on both sides. They were all demolished to create a supermarket on the High Street and a block of flats on Back of Avon. The alley was div... Read more
One of the major walks from the High St to the river, Smiths Lane has never been an alley, though it was once much narrower and full of life. The Abbey Brewery was established here, one of several in Tewkesbury, with its tower a landmark on... Read more
Like most alleys it is named after the occupants of the front house. Miss Clark ran a dame school there in 1849, when alley names were fixed by the council, and signs erected. Clarks Alley is unusual in having raised brick strips in the wal... Read more
Leave a Comment
Download the App
Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.