Scarborough Town Hall

Scarborough Town Hall

England YO11, United Kingdom

Created By: Scarborough Civic Society

Tour Information

Welcome to Scarborough Town Hall

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

In 1800 the Town Hall moved from Sandside (on the site of the former Bethel Mission, now a café) to William Newstead’s Assembly Rooms on Long Room Street, as St Nicholas Street was then called. All Scarborough Corporation business was c... Read more
A portrait of John Woodall is hanging in the Committee Room. In 1844, John Woodall had the house demolished and replaced by an impressive red-brick mansion named St Nicholas House. The building was designed by Henry Wyatt who displayed the... Read more
Harry W Smith, the recently appointed borough engineer and surveyor, designed the new eastern (seaward) wing in a similar style to the original, to accommodate the council chamber and other offices. Royalty graced the opening of the town ha... Read more
We enter the Town Hall at the main entrance on St Nicholas Street.The mosaic in the floor of the entrance foyer is the Common Seal of the Borough, which dates from the 13th century and was used as the armorial bearings of Scarborough until ... Read more
The Civic Parlour was the drawing room of the old house and the wall on the left was the end wall of the house. Here, on either side of the connecting door to the Mayor’s parlour, are paintings by H B Carter of the original house, which s... Read more
In the Mayor’s Parlour, the plaques around the walls have been presented over the years by army, naval and air force units and other organisations that have made official visits to the town. The copper plates above the sideboard are from ... Read more
The items in the display cabinet in the corridor are clearly identified so descriptions here are unnecessary. There are, however, one or two items of particular interest including the key which was used to open the Town Hall officially in 1... Read more
The large painting hanging in the corridor, ‘Scarborough Spa Promenade’ by Thomas Jones Barker, always attracts great interest when the story behind it is explained to visitors. The Prince and Princess of Wales and Lord Londesborough ar... Read more
The Borough Mace and original chains of office are on display in the mayoral corridor cabinets and the chains are now only worn on special ceremonial occasions. Replica chains are now worn for most events and these will be worn by the Mayor... Read more
Note the fire surround which are adorned with semi-precious stones, all collected from the beaches between Filey and Whitby. A piece of shrapnel from the bombardment is displayed on the cabinet in this room. The painting hanging by the door... Read more
The Council Chamber has some fine panelling created by a firm of local carpenters. The cypher ‘CR’ is prominent in the stained glass windows both here in the Council Chamber and outside in the corridor. This is the cypher of King Charle... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to